Thursday, December 11, 2008

That's not my grandson, it;s an old man

These were the words my Babci (polish for grandma) said when she saw me on Skype. She lives in Connecticut and is over 90 years old so we don't get to see her much. She also has dementia and when my dad told her who I was she didn't believe him because she said all she saw was an old man. Ouch, I'm only 27 and the way she kept repeating that statement could cause someone to fall into depression haha. It didn't really bother me because I know web cams aren't in HD and with my shaved head and her bad vision I'm sure I really looked like an old man to her. Honestly she could call me an old man as much as she wanted if it gave her her memory back. Dementia is an sad thing and when she saw Jace she didn't know who he was but with a big smile she kept saying "he's a cutie" over and over again. She went from a confused look of whose that old man to her entire face lighting up when she saw Jace. I guess as the commercial goes "Laptop $600, webcam $40, my babci seeing Jace for the very first time...priceless." It was a moment I will never forget and although she probably doesn't remember it, in that moment she was very happy to see Jace. I guess if there is any sort of takeaway from this; it is never take your family for granted and cherish every moment with them. Life is short and can change at anytime.

1 comment:

Andy Wynn said...

Touching words my friend. Very cool story, glad you shared it.