Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mentoring

As a student, a lot of my spiritual growth came from relationships. Actually, throughout my life I have grown and been challenged spiritually from mentors in my life. People I'm close to and who hold me accountable. This is why at Epic we have a connection team. These are leaders whose focus is to connect with students every Wednesday night. However this can be challenging when you have 80-90 students coming per week and 150 coming a month which leads to us having different groups of students every Wednesday night. After having a conversation with my friend who is doing a mentor type program with there youth leaders, we are now pairing each one of our connection team members with ten students to focus on and mentor. Instead of us all trying to connect with all the students, which is difficult, we are now making sure every student has a mentor and that our leaders will go below the surface in their relationship with 10 specific students. I'm very excited for this change because I believe it will help us make sure that every student has a mentor and it will give us a better idea of where every student is at in life and their relationship with God. I'm enjoying this student ministry journey and learning every week. It can be challenging but it is definitely worth it!

No comments: