Thursday, May 15, 2008

What I've Learned in Youth Ministry Pt. 6

Safety First, Fun Second

I've used and heard this expression - "It's better to ask for forgiveness then for permission."  Living by this statement can be very risky, especially for a youth pastor.  I've seen churches get sued and youth pastors fired for having Fun first and safety last!  For this reason I try to live by safety first and fun second.  For some reason there is this mindset that if a youth ministry is going to be fun it must have crazy events and games where kids are throwing up and getting hurt.  I don't know where this mindset comes from but I think it's dangerous for our students and our ministries.  It will also be a headache for your senior pastor.  The last thing a senior pastor needs is to clean up a youth pastor's mess because they were thinking fun first, safety last.  Here are a few questions to ask yourself to help you have a safety first, fun second mindset (these questions at least help me):

1.  What would an unchurched parent, who cares about their child, think about what you are doing?  I say unchurched because some parents in the church did the stuff that we are doing to their kids so they are cool with it.
Example:  I was at a camp once that shot kids with paint-ball guns who snuck out, except they missed one and hit a girl in the face who was looking out her window.  This is kind of funny but then I thought, "I wonder what that girl's parents would do," especially if they were unchurched?  They probably would be ticked and ready to sue.

*Now I know there are some parents that are too over protective and will never be happy, but I believe this question can save you a lot of trouble.

2.  Would I want this to happen to my child?
Example: same as above, if a youth pastor shot Jace in the face with a paint ball gun we would have some problems if you know what I'm saying.  Even if he did sneak out, I'd be looking for someone to smack.

3.  Would my senior pastor approve?
-this is easy to answer, ask him or her first before you do something questionable.

Lastly when you go on a retreat or trip to an amusement park, bring enough leaders to help monitor your students, make them stay in groups of at least 3 and always have some sort of check in point.  And always make middle school students stay with an adult.  Don't let them run around six flags by themselves, there are too many crazy people in this world to chance something like that.  Some of your students are too crazy to be alone as well.  Protect your youth ministry and more importantly protect the students God has entrusted you with.  

No comments: