Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What I've Learned in Youth Ministry Pt. 2

Another important thing I've learned about building a team is we must build the RIGHT team. Building the RIGHT team involves recruiting the RIGHT people and placing them in the RIGHT place. When adding a new team member I always try to find out their passions and strengths so I can get them in the RIGHT place.

So what does the RIGHT person look like. For me the RIGHT person is someone who is humble, teachable, responsible, committed and loyal. Notice the word talented is no where to be found in my description. All the qualities I listed deal with character and I would much rather have a leader with no talent and character then one with lots of talent and no character.

Ok so how do we get them in the RIGHT place? I've created teams with job descriptions to help me get the RIGHT people in the RIGHT place. These teams also have different levels of commitment so we can have team members that are involved every week and others that are involved on a bi-weekly basis. Either way, our teams help us get the RIGHT people in the RIGHT place. And I also try to make my descriptions super detailed so every leader knows what the expectations are. Having clear and good standards will also get the RIGHT people in the RIGHT place. Without them there will be frustration, confusion, burn out and a mess. I think it's unwise to have every leader do everything, create teams and maximize your resources.

If you build a team but don't get people in the RIGHT place you will have chaos and a struggling youth ministry. Tomorrow I will share what teams we have and what they do.

No comments: