Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What I've Learned in Youth Ministry

Through my experience, which isn't much, but I'm gonna share it anyway. One major thing I learned is to build a team. So for the next couple days I'm gonna share my thoughts about building a team.

I think it's easy for youth pastors to get into the "if I want it done right, I must do it myself" rut. At least I know I have. The problem is that mentality only leads to frustration, burn out and ineffective youth ministries. Ephesians 4:12 tells us to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up; not to do everything on our own. I think recruiting and training leaders should be a top priority of every youth pastor. The more leaders you have the more students you will be able to reach. A youth pastor and his wife at most can impact 12 students, any more then that we should be training leaders to impact the lives of students. And that's just a relational impact, let's not forgot we are trying to create a relevant service with music, video, lights and more.

At People's Church I'm blessed with a team that allows me to focus on meeting students and preaching my messages on Wed. night. There is stuff that comes up from time to time but for the most part all I have to do is hang with students and preach. It's a wonderful feeling because I've done the tweak the sound, run power point, do registration, greet, sell stuff at the cafe, lead worship and preach nights. Those are not enjoyable nights and thank God I'm done with those.

If you are doing everything or too much on your service nights(I would say too much is anything more then connecting with students and preaching), use your Sunday mornings to become a recruiting machine. Get a coffee budget and make Starbucks your addiction and meet with people until you build your team. Another tip is recruit new blood, don't steal your kids ministry leaders. I promise the recruiting will be hard work and take time, but it will be worth it for you and your students.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Administrating is the new cool. I'm glad we're both figuring this out. Here's to being even more effective! Good luck with the 80s extravaganza tonight.