Wednesday, September 24, 2008

People who have influenced my Life


This week I'm going to blog about people who have helped mold and shape me as a person as well as those who have helped influenced the way I do student ministry.

First up is Paul Hinzman. I met Paul when I was 17 years old at Abundant Life Church in Indianapolis. He was the new youth pastor and I was told I needed to check him out. So I visited his youth group and the first thing I remember is he about crushed my hand with his handshake. I wonder if he know I was a heathen dog who may give him some trouble. Anyway from the first time I met him I was impressed because of all the unconditional love he showed me. Even though he knew all the garbage I was into he never treated me differently. Matter of fact, in my eyes he went the extra mile when he visited a musical I was in (bye bye birdie) where I played a drunk guy and many other roles. That is something I will never forget and it had a huge impact on me as a person and in the way I do ministry. Because of Paul going to my play I have always tried to visit student's games, musicals, band competitions and once I went to a fencing tournament. Paul was real and always communicated God's truth which eventually led to me giving my heart to Christ under his ministry. After that he mentored me, allowed me to lead worship, preach, gave me many ministry opportunities and has always been there for me. I also learned the value of being tactful, which when he first knew me I had little to none, but after a few years with him I got much better at it. Today he is one of my closest friends and continues to impact my life. I thank God that he put Paul Hinzman in my life. Currently Paul is the District Youth Director of Illinois.

1 comment:

Paul Hinzman said...

Bro...how do I respond to that? Thanks for thinking of me like that. I know God will do more through you than I have ever dreamed! By the way, don't ever stop dreaming yourself!!