Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Youth Leaders/Pastors: Family First!

Our family should always come before ministry, but if we aren't intentional and paying attention to this it can easily shift to our ministry coming before our family.  This is an unhealthy place that can not only hurt our ministry but even worse it can hurt our family.  Look at what Timothy writes to those desiring to lead/pastor  


1 Timothy 3:4-5 says He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)


Scripture is very black and white on this issue and I've made the mistake and have seen many others put ministry before their family in different capacities.  For me personally I'm guilty of putting more energy, strategy and focus on my ministry then on my family, this was a short but potentially very dangerous season in my life and I'm very thankful I got things back on track.  To help me get back on track I had to start looking at my family in the same light that I look at my ministry.  Here are a few thoughts that helped me out:


1.  As much as I love the ministry I should love our family more.
2.  For as much blood, sweat and tears I put into the ministry I should put in more for my family.
3.  For as much strategy as I put into the growth and health of my ministry, I should put more strategy into the growth and health of my family.
4.  For as much prayer as I pray for my ministry I should pray more for my family.
5.  For as much as I am intentional with my time for the ministry I should be even more intentional with time for my family.
6.  For as much as my thoughts are consumed by the ministry they should be more consumed by my family.
7.  I've also learned to say no to things that aren't top priority so my family is top priority.
8.  Another element that helped me was having people in my life I could be transparent and honest with, people that have an outside perspective to open my eyes to things I wasn't seeing.  If you don't have this person find them quickly!  We all need accountability.


Now don't get me wrong, I'm still leading my ministry to the best of my ability and working hard but now I'm also leading my family to the best of my ability and my family comes before my ministry.

1 comment:

heady said...

good stuff sir! go win!